Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Deuces are Wild #7

Top O' the Mornin to Ya!


Let me start off by thanking everyone for the encouragement and the ideas.  Today we will finally find out what the last three War Movies in our countdown.  Some of you may be disappointed with my decisions, I will do my best to justify my reasoning.  But hell, this is MY blog.  I enjoyed seeing some of your Top three picks.  I am obliged to agree, they are all good choices.  But none better than Battle: LA.  I kid, I kid. 
I will give you a little whiff of my next post, I will do a TOP TEN WORST MOVIE QUOTES, upon a request from one of our readers.  


Also at request, a couple sexist, dirty but we all know they're funny, drinking toasts.
“Here’s to Hell! May my stay there be as much fun as my way there!”
 “Here’s to the ideal woman; Who could ask for more? She’s deaf ‘n dumb, oversexed, and owns a liquor store.”
 “To women and horses, And the men that ride them!”




MEDIA REVIEW


I thought I would take this opportunity to try and be the first at something in my blog.  Last night infamous Rebecca Black released her second single titled "My Moment".  I think that much like the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Eminem; Rebecca Black's earlier work is her best work.  Her debut single "Friday" is simply deeper, edgier, more original and of far better quality.  Also it is obvious in the long awaited 5 months since her last release the young starlet hasn't aged well either.  It seems that we have yet another star shinning too bright too early.  

 REBECCA BLACK - MY MOMENT


In case for some odd reason, you haven't seen her debut release "Friday" and you live in a cave and my review above flew right over your head, here it is.  Enjoy.

REBECCA BLACK - FRIDAY 


TOP TEN COUNTDOWN              WAR MOVIES

#10     300

#9       We Were Soldiers

#8       The Patriot

#7       Patton

#6       The Hurt Locker

#5       The Great Escape

#4       Glory

#3       Braveheart - Our last Mel Gibson movie to make the list.  This film is unique in the time period it covers.  Unfortunately, the oppression of the Scots and the Irish by the tyrannical English Kings of the period is rarely taught in our schools anymore.  I enjoy every bit of this movie.  The Historical accuracy, the underdog battle sequences, the humor here and there, but most of all love and determination that Mel Gibson brings to his role of William Wallace is moving.  Definitely a tear jerker for me.

#2       Saving Private Ryan - I often feel like WWII is over done in movies and video games.  However, this film conquers a difficult feat in film; getting emotionally attached to so many characters, the Sniper, the Jew, the English teacher and the Football player.  Every time they going into battle you pray they all come out safely.  The film also took a graphic approach which upset a lot of people when it was released.  Today, I think; NO, I know that people in my demo-graph and younger are de-sensitized to realistic violence, this is extremely unfortunate because now the message is lost.  If you take a moment and try and understand that these aren't fictional characters and these aren't ancient roman legions but rather these were our REAL American men; your grandfathers and family members, that were alive in our childhood and some still alive today, that went through these horrific endeavors to preserve the freedoms of total strangers.  This film clearly shows us what real courage and valor is.  And any ignorant, selfish, arrogant, dumb-ass that laughs when a dying man screams for his mother (AND I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE LAUGH DURING THAT SCENE) should be drafted to the front lines immediately, or beaten, or sterilized, or sent to live in North Korea OR SOMETHING!  UGH!!! That review turned into a rant, pretty fast.  Sorry about that.

#1       Blackhawk Down - Probably a controversial pick for #1, but hear me out.  This film shows men younger than I am now.  Fighting in a time period I can relate to.  Against an identical enemy I am currently engaged with (indirectly).  This film is absolute non-stop action.  But not Terminator or Transformers action.  The action I am talking about is a fire fight.  On average a fire-fight lasts 15 minutes to 3 or 4 hours depending on the circumstance.  A fire-fight, properly known as a TIC (troops in contact) is different than a Battle.  A TIC is where the same unit goes un-supplied and un-reinforced for a continues period of time, exchanging gun fire regularly.  The Rangers in Blackhawk down did this outnumbered and outgunned for 27 hours straight, this is unheard of, a miracle.  The soundtrack, cinematography and acting could not get any better.  I love this film and want to share an interesting political point about the movie, with all of you.  After the failure of the first Battle of Mogadishu(1993) President Clinton pulled out of Somalia and left it in shambles instead of retaliating and more and importantly finishing what General Garrison had worked for the last 18 months.  The men that gave their lives that day could not be avenged because some politician thought he could do General Garrisons' job better.  This is a prime example of every conflict we have been in since WWII.  Politicians fight wars, instead of generals.

Honorable Mention      Band of Brothers - This 10 part miniseries on HBO done by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks (same team that did 'Saving Private Ryan') deserves the honorable mention.  This series balances, politics, emotions, pain and suffering, action, tactics and strategy, courage and heroism perfectly.  The story follows the longest active and most successful unit in WWII, the U.S. Army 101st Airborne.  These boys took anything the Nazi's could throw at them and still kicked some Kraut ass.  God bless'em.


UNCLASSIFIED BRIEF


I thought this would be an interesting section to add occasionally.  I have a unique position being in the military, that allows me to look at the real gritty news on our current affairs.  I thought I would share some quick bullet points that are UNCLASSIFIED, that you won't get in the news.  


  • China officially has its first Sea worthy Aircraft Carrier.  This means China is at our doorstep.  This also means the Philippines and Vietnam are Shit out of Luck when it comes to the oil feud in the South China Sea.  This also means this is the first major piece of military hardware that China has that isn't Russian.  I don't know whether to congratulate them, or sink it. http://www.spacewar.com/reports/First_China_aircraft_carrier_sea_trial_next_week_999.html


  • In other news today, Israel has informally given the Middle East another metaphorical "Fuck YOU!"  Israel has completed its first operational test of its Star Wars missile defense program.  This means, once functional, the Arrow defense system can track and shoot down any rocket or missile launched at them from anywhere in the Middle East.  Nice try Iran, better luck next time.  I read that there were talks of putting a similar system in the Cincinnati Bengals Secondary this next NFL season.   http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Israel_successfully_tests_Arrow_anti-missile_system_999.html


TIP/TRICK OF THE DAY
Sometime you just come across an ordinary object, that can do extraordinary things.  Check out the brilliant uses for a Binder Clip.
www.funnyordie.com/articles/e85111f5f4/6-life-changing-uses-for-binder-clips-that-you-could-ve-easily-thought-of



GADGET OF THE DAY


FIRST ZOMBIE PROOF HOUSE


I don't know how many of you actually know this, but I am a HUGE zombie fan.  I love all things Zombie survival.  And this is just awesome to me.

LAUGH OF THE DAY





Stay Classy.  Deuces, OUT.

12 comments:

  1. i agree 100% with the keeping of the brain healthy by the consumption of a few beers on a regular basis. That is all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm submitting Kelly's Heroes as an honorable mention for war/comedy movies. I know there's a number of these but this one is a classic. Clint Eastwood, Donald Sutherland, Telly Savalas, Don Rickles, and Carroll O'Connor are a pretty sweet lineup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin - Not only did I totally forget about that movie. I couldn't agree more. Maybe the Ms. Congeniality award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what did i tell you yesterday? please no blackhawk down! i get the whole relevance to what you are facing now and can respect that....but i wouldnt put it in the top 5 at all. not saying it wasnt a good movie, but if you had to sit and think of the GREATEST war movie of ALL TIME...blackhawk down is really it? i think there is some bias there...and probably rightfully so, but i think you might have left a couple really good ones off that list. The Downfall (Der Untergang) was really a great movie too, from a non-american perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and full metal jacket doesnt even get a mention? that was a pretty revolutionary movie...really really creepy but still

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree for the most part, good to see the great escape in there. However, I would of liked to have seen 'The Thin Red Line' amongst them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol those are some great toasts! Bold move making blackhawk down #1, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could only pick #10. If it were more, I would definitely have "the Thin Red Line" and "the Downfall" and "Kelleys Heroes". And probably Inglorious Bastards just for kicks. Glad to see everyone enjoyed the countdown though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well since I am a slow reader and it has taken me about four days to read the DW6&7 I am going to put my comments for both here. Thanks for posting those whiskey stones.... I am going to buy them right now!! Thats the best thing since sliced bread.
    The paper clip cuff links, def going down at your wedding!!!
    The top ten is solid, I thought you might have put full metal jacket up there. But lets be honest that movie is good up until Lee Ermey dies.
    I have two things to say about Rebecca Black (or Becca-beatz as known on the streets) 1.You suck, stop 2.ONE, and my moment is gonna be when I take your Vcard unless that terrible black rapper beat me to the punch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and I just read hakoon's comment about full metal jacket... sorry not that great

    ReplyDelete
  11. One more thing I forgot to add. Mikey (D.W. or whatever I am supposed to call you on here) you and your dad would love this movie. I just watched it, its called Kill the Irishman. Its about the mafia war that went on in Youngstown and Cleveland in the 1970's and how this bad M* F*n Irishman cant be killed by the mob. Its based on true events and this guy actually lived in Ohio back in the day. Review it for next time, if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jtight7- How dare you disrespect one of Americas greatest musicians!! 2) That's why I didn't put full metal jacket in the top 10 def top 15 though.
    Kill the Irishman will be on Mondays post. Guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete