Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Deuces are Wild #5


How is everyone?


I want to start off by thanking everyone for the Birthday wishes, you have no idea how much it means to get the simplest 'Happy Birthday' via Facebook, when I live so far from all of you.  Thank you so much.


I haven't been able to blog as frequently as I would like and I am sorry for that. A lot more time goes into this than it looks.  


I am gonna start off addressing a couple of issues with the blog.  First off, if you haven't read all the posts yet, they can easily be reached by clicking the 'older post' button at the bottom of each post.  You don't have to though,  seeing as how 'Deuces are Wild #4' is the only really good post so far.  However, I recommend reading any old post you may have missed because I make references to previous discussions.  For example there were a lot of questions about my movie rating system.  For those of you that know just skip down past the next paragraph.
 "I'm gonna steal the Rotten Tomatoes percentage meter, but I'm gonna put a twist on it.  I will have one percentage for our EA fans, that stands for Easily Amused and a second percentage for the CW fans, which stands for Critic Wannabe.... EA fans don't care about the reviews before they go see the movie.  Usually they will go see a movie based on the actor and if the trailer looked cool enough.  Most likely EA fans don't know or don't care about things like cinematography or a sound track. On the other hand CW fans are people that will do endless research before going to see a movie, they don't care if the entire cast has won academy awards and a trailer sure as hell isn't going to persuade them.  CW fans are very observant of plot holes and are usually keen on quality cinematography and dialogue is very important to them.  So now be completely honest with yourself and figure out which category you fall into."
I am glad that my readers have been getting involved in the comments section of the blog.  I enjoy hearing everyone's opinions and suggestions and encourage readers to check back in to see if I or other readers have responded to your comments.  I was especially surprised to see the amount of controversy I ignited with the Casey Anthony bit I wrote.  I love a heated debate and enjoyed reading what everyone thought, it seems I was the minority with my feelings on the trial.  However I couldn't help but notice that everyone was in agreement that the bitch is guilty, that cracked me up.  Furthermore, one of our readers has brought it to my attention that the new Taco Bell XXL grilled stuffed burrito is not only an abomination but a blatant attempt and failure at the Chipotle burrito.  Please take note.


MEDIA REVIEW 
I am very excited about this portion of the post today.  I am gonna review a great movie I saw this weekend, a couple apps in your local App Store and top it off with a couple trailers I am really excited about.


'Horrible Bosses' was an absolute riot.  Directed by Seth Gordon, and stacked with an All-Star cast, Charlie Day (Always Sunny in Philadelphia), Jason Bateman (Juno, Arrested Development), Jamie Foxx (Ray, Law Abiding Citizens), Kevin Spacey (Usual Suspects, American Beauty), Colin Farrel (Alexander, In Bruges), Jennifer Aniston (Marley & Me, Just Go With It) and the blossoming Jason Sudeikis (Hall Pass, SNL).



Once again I am reviewing a movie that chose simplicity and it paid off for them.  As you can tell from the trailer these three friends want to kill their bosses.  Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrel and Jennifer Aniston all play the evil employers of the rookie murderers Jason Bateman, Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis while Jamie Foxx plays the murder consultant.  The actors all share screen time well with no competition for a lead character.  The actors all seemed to have a great sense of improvisation when needed and make the events that unfold very believable and most definitely hilarious.  This fresh comedy certainly belongs up there with 'the Hangover' and 'Wedding Crashers'.
Horrible Bosses          EA:  89%       CW:  79%


Next I am gonna review two apps from the apps store that are both available on the iphone and Android phones.  Most of you have probably already seen them or currently use them if so feel free to add your two cents at the end.  

First app up for review is FourSquare.  I find this app very entertaining and I don't even have that many friends to play with.  This app does however conflict with some of your fundamental concepts of privacy.  The concept is quite simple, check into any location from your phone.  Locations range from your house, work, taco bell, movie theater or even LaGuardia International Airport.  You share your location with your friends on Foursquare and you all compete for "Mayor" (person who frequents that location most).  Link FourSquare to your Facebook account and let everyone know where you are.  Don't freak out, if you don't want people to know where you are then don't check into that location, it's not automated.  But, just for controversy if anyone with any means (i.e. the government, major corporations) really wanted to know where you were, as long as your cell phone is on you, they could find you, trust me.  We live in that age and there is nothing we can really do about it.  The only minor issue I have found with this app, is it seems to be fairly difficult to add friends that aren't signed up or don't have their FourSquare linked to Facebook.


Second app up for review, which I am sure you all have, Words with Friends.  Simply put, its Scrabble with your friends.  A turn based game that has virtually no time limit, just send your next word whenever you have spare time, days can pass between each turn if needed, so I recommend playing multiple games with multiple friends at one time.  Useful tips, go second if you can because its easier to reach the Double Word or Double Letter tiles that way.  And, 'Fuck' is not a word apparently.  My username is Mr. Grinch if you ever want a challenge.  Feel free to share your usernames with each other in the comment section.


In this portion of the Media section of the blog I will post a couple links to some things I am really looking forward to.


MUSIC
Red Hot Chili Peppers new album called 'I'm With You'.
http://redhotchilipeppers.com/

Kenny Wayne Shepherd's new album called 'How I Go'
http://www.kennywayneshepherd.net/

MOVIES
The first clip I have below was indirectly suggested by one of our readers that recently posted it on their Facebook and I thought I would share this with everyone.  This movie looks very impressive, its called 'Another Earth' which as of now is giving me a cosmic 'Donnie Darko' love-drama vibe.

ANOTHER EARTH

The Second clip I have selected is pretty self explanatory after watching the trailer.  Based on true stories of Saddam Hussein's son the Black Prince Uday Hussein, I assume this movie will be the new 'Scarface'.

THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE

The Last clip I am sharing with you is an original comedy from the Director of 'Zombieland', one of my favorite movies.  I have high expectations for this comedy, I would say that this film looks to be a spawn of 'Superbad' and 'Pineapple Express'.

30 MINUTES OR LESS

TOP TEN COUNTDOWN          WAR MOVIES

#10     300

#9       WE WERE SOLDIER - Directed by Randall Wallace, starring Mel Gibson.  This is one of the best Vietnam war movies ever, up there with 'Platoon'.  Far superior to that liberal over-rated political joke 'Apocalypse Now'.  'We Were Soldiers' tells the story of 400 U.S. Soldiers led by Lt. Colonel Hal Moore (Mel Gibson) that found themselves completely surrounded by 2,000+ North Vietnamese at Landing Zone X-Ray.  The film captures most beautifully, one of the hardest things human beings have to do, sacrificing ones own life for another.  The U.S. soldiers at landing zone X-Ray laid down their lives for each other in the face of being outnumbered and outgunned.  During such a politically charged time period these soldiers were fearless and knew what had to be done.



WHAT GRINDS MY GEARS
Normally I will try and bring up a topic that we can converse about intelligently in this portion, much like I did last time with my complaints about the Casey Anthony trial. However, sometimes I just have things to bitch and moan about and this area on the page seems like the best place to do it.  Today I am gonna bitch about stupid fucking drivers. UGH!!!

Highway driving.  Somewhere along the years, the United States just completely lost any and all driving intelligence.  Which is odd if you ask me considering it is our primary means of long distance ground travel.  Across the pond, Europe has an extremely sophisticated rail system and yet from what I have experienced their highway driving is exponentially smoother. Let me get to the root of my complaint about highway driving.  Let's assume you are on an Interstate with 3 lanes going in your direction.  This is how it should appear.  First off I apologize for the quality of my Paint artwork. Secondly, it makes more sense if you read it from the Right Lane to the Left Lane.



I hope that all of that made sense.  This allows for faster and safer driving conditions.  It also will contribute to a rapid decline in Road Rage induced heart attacks, which I feel is the most likely way I will die.  I have dreams of being able to cruise up and down America's glorious interstate at virtually any speed I desire without feeling like I am gonna run Apu the 7/11 clerk off the road for doing 0.5Mph faster than the speed limit in the Left Lane.


HOW TO PASS LIFE
Relaxation.  A lot of people struggle with this concept but I am going to lay down a few guidelines I have learned and try to follow.  
1)  Buy the most comfortable mattress you can afford and spare no expenses.  Studies show that the average person spends a third of their life sleeping.  Why not get the best out of that third?  Wake up energized.  Wake up in a better mood.  Enjoy laying down.  Enjoy a complete night of sleep.
2)  I know the woman that read this will completely ignore this advice because pain is beauty.  But, if your on your feet all day or run a lot buy the most comfortable pair of shoes you can find.  Your feet are the foundation of your body.  Happy feet = happy legs = happy back = happy you.
3)  Enjoy the little things in life.  

Have a cocktail after work.
Don't tolerate commercials on the radio.
Puppies, Sunny Days, Stars and Ice Cream are all considered 'Little Things' and should be enjoyed as often as possible.
Thank people that hold doors for you, and return the favor.
Get extra-cheese on your Burger and T.G.I.Fridays.
Solitude is different than loneliness.
The feeling of finding a $5 bill in your pants, leave it there to feel that feeling again next time you put them on.
Laughing so hard you cry.
Sit out in the sun, Vitamin D is proven to improve your mood.
Remember to enjoy the Little Things in Life.


Stay Classy.  Deuces, OUT.

2 comments:

  1. Love the highway driving bit. Two more gear grinding highway habits, 1. stopping on the entrance ramp - REALLY! and 2. Using the turn signal as permission to cut me off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you would hate driving with me then. i do my best...but i read that and realized i do little of that

    ReplyDelete